Monday, February 15, 2010

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Photobucket

I have a phobia when it comes to handling raw meat, so I typically shy away from recipes that call for the bigger cuts of meat, i.e. roasts, shoulder, butt, etc. But this recipe is so easy, and the result is so delicious, that even I can handle it. I just make sure I have Al around to dispose of the yucky meat bits and wrappings, and that I wear gloves. When I say phobia, I'm not kidding.

(This recipe is courtesy of my friend Michele)
Ingredients:
3 to 4 lb. pork shoulder/butt
1 c. vinegar
1/2 c. water
salt & pepper
BBQ sauce
2 T. honey
2 T. sugar
crushed red pepper (optional)

Directions:
Put pork into crock-pot. Pour vinegar and water over it, and then sprinkle salt & pepper. Cook for 6 hours on high. After 6 hours, check to see if the meat can be pulled apart easily. If it is tender, it is done. Shred the pork and reserve 1 to 1 1/2 c. of the pork water (dispose of the rest). Put the shredded pork back in the crock-pot, and add the pork water, BBQ sauce, honey, sugar, and crushed red pepper. Stir until the pork is evenly coated. Let the pork cook for an additional hour on low.

My Recommendations:
This is better if you can cook it the day before you want to serve it. You can trim the meat of any fat before you put it in the crock-pot or after it cooks. We (Al) usually does so after it cooks because it pulls right off. Much easier. We usually omit the red pepper so the kids are able to eat it as well. As to whether this is a kid friendly meal or not, I think the look on bubba's face speaks for itself.

Photobucket

0 comments: