Monday, January 25, 2010

Granola

Photobucket

It was a rainy day today - terrential downpour to be more exact. Whenever it's cold and rainy, I get the urge to make a yummy treat. Bubba and I were on our own today (big sister was at pre-K) so we set off to the kitchen to make some granola.

I have never attempted to make granola before but while I was reading Musings of a Housewife, I stumbled upon a recipe here, and it sounded too easy and too good to pass up. Plus, we are out of cereal, and I wasn't about to trek out in the rain to get more.

Photobucket

(See the original recipe here - I tweaked it a bit based on what I had in the pantry)
Ingredients:
3 c. oats
1/2 c. almonds
1/2 c. coconut
1/4 c. butter
1/3 c. honey
1/6 c. water
1 t. vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and mix wet ingredients in another. Combine contents of both bowls. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan.

Put the pan into the oven and stir every 10 minutes until browned.

Photobucket

My recommendations:
The top and the sides browned first, so make sure you stir frequently or else the granola will get too crispy. Ours baked for about 25 minutes before it came out. Bubba and I had some with milk and it was seriously. so. good. We also snacked on some later while we relaxed on the couch. I'm thinking that next time I will double the recipe because I can see the granola disappearing fast in our house! Especially since Bubba inhales about 4 bowls of cereal for breakfast every morning. I'm kind of scared of what he'll be able to consume in his teenage years.

0 comments: