Sunday, March 7, 2010

Homemade Strawberry Orange Julius

Photobucket

It was the first semi-nice day in a really long time (remember our 78 inches of snow this winter?). So I decided to celebrate by making us a cool, frothy Orange Julius.

My brother and I used to make these all the time when we were in high school, so although I knew the basic ingredients, I needed a refresher on the quantities. While searching, I couldn't find any recipes that didn't include either egg whites or whole eggs. Adding raw eggs kind of skeeved me out (remember - I am scared of raw meat), so I crafted my own.

Ingredients:
2 c. orange juice
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. water
1/4 c. white sugar
1 t. vanilla
handful of strawberries (optional)
tray of ice cubes

Directions:
Add all ingredients to blender except for ice. Blend. Add ice. Blend until smooth.

Photobucket
(No judgement on my smeary glasses, k? Thanks)

My Recommendations:
These were delicious and my kids could not drink them fast enough. I don't think they took a breath until they had finished their entire glass.

It's entirely up to you how much ice you want to add, and whether you want to add eggs. From what I read, the egg/egg white is what makes the drink frothy, so I'm sure it would be delicious. But still skeevy in my humble, warped opinion.

0 comments: